Denise and Louise talk with linguist Rob Drummond about grammar pedantry, peevery, youth language, and non-standard language in context.
Listen To Find Out More About:
- Correct or conventional – a linguist’s perspective
- Better versus standard
- Zombie rules, and what we can ditch
- Youth language – dumbing down English or enriching it?
- Young people's language in relation to identity and language change
- Varieties of English in written communication: globalization, national and cultural identities
- The internet’s impact on pedantry and peevery
- The relationship between knowledge and pedantry
- The difference between preferences and judgements
- Recognizing our own pedantry and respecting contextually appropriate style
- Stepping outside our linguistic comfort zones
Mentioned In The Show
- Radical Copyeditor blog
- 'The Business of Being a Writer, with Jane Friedman’
- Rob Drummond Linguistics
- TED Talk: John McWhorter: Txtng is killing language. JK!!!
- Rob's graph: Linguistic knowledge versus linguistic pedantry
Ask Us A Question
The easiest way to ping us a question is via Facebook Messenger: Visit the podcast's Facebook page and click on the SEND MESSAGE button.
Denise And Louise
‘Vivacity’ Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License.