10 tips for examining our language in shared editorial spaces
We discuss some of the things we’ve learned about examining the words we use and the way we behave in shared editorial spaces.
Listen to find out more about
- Familiarising ourselves with the rules of that space
- Acknowledging that our political, professional and ideological positions are not going to be the same as everyone else’s
- Recognizing the potential diversity of our editorial spaces
- Saying hello and introducing ourselves first
- Being prepared to be challenged
- Owning our words if we're challenged
- Acknowledging that intention not to hurt doesn’t absolve us of the responsibility for that hurt.
- Being prepared to feel uncomfortable
- Accepting our privilege without getting our knickers in a knot!
- How it's for the white, cis, straight etc people to do the work
Join our Patreon community
Our patrons benefit from access to PDF transcripts for all episodes featuring just Louise and Denise, and for some of our guest episodes. If you'd like to support The Editing Podcast, join our Patreon community!
Denise and Louise
- Denise Cowle: denisecowleeditorial.com
- Louise Harnby: harnby.co/fiction-editing
‘Vivacity’ Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/